The 2020 Miss South Africa competition will be the 62nd edition of the annual pageant. The finals of the pageant will be held on 24 October 2020 in Cape Town, at Sun International’s Table Bay hotel at the V&A Waterfront. It will have a 2-hour live broadcast being simulcast on M-Net and Mzansi Magic and will be streamed live to an international audience.
This year, a top 3 will be selected and each of the winners will be sent to international pageants: Miss Supranational, Miss Universe and Miss World.
MISS SOUTH AFRICA 2020 CANDIDATES
Over several months applicants were narrowed down to a top 35 last June 11, before being cut to a top 15 in June 24 and finally in August 5th the reveal of the 10 national finalists that will compete on the finale. The following are the names of the 10 finalists:
|Jordan van der Vyver
|| 5′ 7″
Note that unlike other national pageants, the Miss South Africa does not publish the heights of the girls on their press releases. The heights indicated above were taken from various sources and model set-cards of the girls. We are still trying to complete this information as of press time.
Here are the published bios of the top 10 finalists so you can get to know them a little better…
Aphelele Mbiyo – Born in Mthatha and raised in Port Elizabeth, she currently lives in Lonehill, Johannesburg. Mbiyo holds a BA in Integrated Marketing Communications. She describes herself as a calm, positive and ambitious person who loves to host dinners parties.
Busisiwe Mmotla – A Sowetan, who has been previously crowned Miss Soweto in 2017. She is a Senior & FET Phase teacher who graduated from the University of Johannesburg with a Bachelor of Education degree. Mmotla is currently studying towards a Diploma in Personal Training at Trifocus Fitness Academy to become a wellness coach.
Chantelle Pretorius – From from Tshwane, Gauteng, she is a full-time model and spends six to nine months a year working in Europe. She holds a diploma in nutrition that she obtained at The Blackford Centre in the United Kingdom and currently working towards finishing her B.Com Business Management degree through Unisa.
Jordan van der Vyver – From Greenpoint in Cape Town, she is an international model who usually spends half the year working in the United States. She is inspired by her mother, who is currently finishing her honours in psychology.
Karishma Ramdev – Originally from Chatsworth in KwaZulu-Natal, she lives in Johannesburg where she works as a medical doctor at the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital. She says she is blessed to have her family as her support structure during this time as working in the frontline has been stressful.
Lebogang Mahlangu – This beauty is from Soshanguve, Gauteng. She is a food scientist working in research and development for a large multi-national company. She is also a social entrepreneur and owns a community bakery in Soshanguve. Mahlangu enjoys adventure such as exploring new hiking routes, running and exercising.
Melissa Nayimuli – From Butterworth in the Eastern Cape, she is settled in Sunninghill, Joburg, where she works as an account manager for a marketing agency. She has a BA in Motion Picture Medium from AFDA and majored in television writing.
Natasha Joubert – This stunner from Centurion, Gauteng, is a Public Relations Officer. She has a B.Com Marketing Management Graduate from Boston City Campus.
Shudufhadzo Musida – She is from Ha-Masia in Limpopo and has a Bachelor of Social Sciences in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from the University of Pretoria. She is currently doing a BA Honours in International Relations at the University of Witwatersrand.
Thato Mosehle – Last, but certainly not least, is Mosehle, who comes from Klerksdorp in the North West. She is a medical doctor and is currently completing her internship to become an anesthesiologist. She started entering pageants after a knee injury, which halted her plans to be a Protea netball player.
Judging on the bios alone, one can tell that the Miss SA 2020 candidates are a bunch of diverse, well-accomplished and gorgeous women of different shapes, color and backgrounds. This is what makes the Miss SA pageant one of the best national competitions as they always have room for diversity in their roster of candidates. We cannot wait until a national queen is selected this year.
MISS SOUTH AFRICA PRIZES
The winner will receive R1 million in cash from the Miss South Africa Organisation, as well as the use of a fully furnished and serviced apartment at luxurious Central Square with fabulous interior décor by Enza Home and a Mercedes Benz C200 Cabriolet for the year of her reign. The 1st runner-up takes home R250 000, the 2nd runner-up gets R100 000, and all 10 finalists will receive R25 000.
Prizes & Sponsor packes include:
* American Swiss: Official crown sponsor
* Bacher & Co: Fragrance sponsorship for year of reign
* Brand South Africa: Play Your Part Ambassador
* Cahi Dental: Dental and oral hygiene care
* Central Square : Use of a luxurious two-bedroom apartment in the heart of Sandton
* Enza Home: Interior designers and furnishers of the Miss South Africa apartment
* Firepower Group: Empowering Miss South Africa with self-development workshops
* Havaianas South Africa: Casual summer shoes for year of reign
* Lajawi Hair: Official styling sponsor for year of reign
* Mercedes Benz: The use of a C200 Cabriolet for her year of reign
* Motherkind: Official wellness & fitness product sponsor
* Neda Beauty & Healing: Care of Miss South Africa’s brows
* Optimum Medical Aesthetics: Skin treatments and IV drips
* Pilates on 7th: Pilates fitness partner for year of reign
* Sparkle Cosmetics/Gelish/Morgan Taylor: Nail care for year of reign
* Steve Madden: Official shoe sponsor
* Strands of Love: Miss South Africa’s hair extensions sponsor
* Switch Playground SA: Official fitness partner; includes Switch classes and personal training sessions.
* Top Drawer Collection: Luxury sleepwear
* Veaudry: Official haircare sponsor
* Woolworths: To sponsor Miss South Africa with WBeauty and Woolworths home products throughout the year of reign
* ZOËT: Clothing sponsor
Who is your favorite for the Miss South Africa pageant? Let us know on the comments below…