We are already mid-way into the Miss Earth competition and we are clearly seeing several girls starting to pull away from the rest of the competition. While nothing is yet set in stone, we list down the girls who are steadily gaining momentum and steam in the pageant…
16. Eucharia Akani, Nigeria ⇓
15. Kaylee Carlberg, US Virgin Islands ⇓
14. Michelle Alriani, Indonesia ⇑
13. Angele Kossinda, Cameroon *new
12. Nina Robertson, Australia *new
11. Karen Bustos, Mexico ⇓
10. Erika Parker, Panama *new
9. Le Thi Ha Thu, Vietnam ⇑
8. Emerlinda de Matos, Angola ⇓
7. Ninoska Vasquez, Venezuela ⇓
6. Andreia Gibau, USA ⇓
5. Juliana Franco, Colombia ⇑
4. Karen Ibasco, Philippines ⇑
3. Faith Landman, Netherlands ⇑
2. Lessie Giler, Ecuador ⇑
1. Paweensuda ‘Fahsai’ Drouin, Thailand ⇔
In three weeks’ time the Miss Earth 2017 pageant would be in full swing. So it wouldn’t be a surprise that the Philippine rep, Karen Ibasco has started to have her presence felt on social media. Below are several of her most recent photo-releases on her official Instagram account.
It seems that the straight her is her go-to-style, but I actually think that a side parting with curls would look great on her too. Karen’s latest photos are actually looking good although I still think that soft pastels in blush pinks, sky blues, and lilacs would be great on her for the competition. Then if she brings on the fierce reds and fully saturated violets on the finals, that would be a reveal!
I trust that her team would have a thorough game-plan by now and would put it into action. By the track record of her camp, it is safe to assume that Karen is in the right hands. She will be facing a lot of tough competition in this year’s batch with a reported number of candidates breaking into the 100 mark. So she has to be prepared for the battle ahead as it is going be a hard battle, to which I have full confidence that she can make it. I trust that this medical practitioner/ physicist/ math instructor/ renewable energy advocate would have what it takes to emerge triumphant in the competition ahead…
As a bonus, check out her Miss Earth eco-video below…
The Philippines never fell short of academic achievers in its roster of beauty queens. From lawyers, engineers, teachers, artists, to medical students and practitioners, we haven’t run out of women who are not just beautiful and academically inclined but are also very articulate. While this list isn’t all-out-comprehensive, it does take us through a journey of how those who have worn the “Miss Philippines” sash are more than just their good looks…
Elizabeth de Padua (Binibining Pilipinas Universe 1976)
– Pre-Med, summa cum laude (University of the Philippines) and later topped the medical board exams
Theresa Licaros (Binibining Pilipinas Universe 2007)
– Broadcast Communication, summa cum laude (University of the Philippines)
– Law (University of the Philippines) with Salutatorian honors
Karen Ibasco (Miss Philippines Earth 2017)
– Applied Physics, major in Instrumentation, cum laude (University of Santo Tomas)
– Masters in Applied Physics, major in Medical Physics, cum laude (University of Santo Tomas)
Jeanne Therese Hilario (Binibining Pilipinas Maja 1989 & Miss Maja International 2nd runner up)
– Chemical Engineering, magna cum laude (Universtity of Santo Tomas) and also a board topnotcher
Zorayda Ruth Andam (Binibining Pilipinas Universe 2001)
– Economics, magna cum laude (University of the Philippines)
– Law (University of the Philippines) with Dean’s Medal for Academic Excellence upon graduation
Shamcey Supsup (Miss Universe 2011 3rdrunner-up)
– Architecture, magna cum laude (University of the Philippines – Diliman) and board topnotcher for architecture
Venus Raj (Miss Universe 2010 4th runner-up)
– Communication Arts, cum laude (Bicol University)
– Master’s degree in Community Development (University of the Philippines – Diliman)
Janine Tugonon (Miss Universe 2012 first runner-up)
– Pharmacy, cum laude (University of Santo Tomas)
Lia Andrea Ramos (Binibining Pilipinas Universe 2006)
– Political Science, cum laude (University of the Philippines)
In the Philippines we give a premium to education, more so for those that have finished with honors. This is perhaps our fascination with beauty queens who can not just look beautiful and speak eloquently but are also academic achievers.
Surely there are more names that we could add to this list. And we jst couldn’t squeeze them in one blogpost. Can you care to share some of them names and honors?
With the recent crowning of Miss Philippines Earth Karen Ibasco, the Philippines is just one crowning short to complete #TeamPhilippines for 2017. First to be crowned this year was Binibining Pilipinas International Maria Angelica de Leon and Miss Philippines Universe Rachel Louise Peters during the coronation last April 30th.
Rumor has it that the following girls are gunning for the Miss World Philippines title: Mutya ng Pilipinas alum Janela Joy Cuaton, Reyna ng Aliwan 2016 Cynthia Thomalla, former Binibining Pilipinas runner up Laura Lehman and Miss Globe 2015 Ann Colis. Some of these names are perhaps decoys for the real possible participants so unless we see them in the competition we gotta believe their joining with a grain of salt.