Pardon the title but I just had to do a wordplay on the names of the Philippine reps to the four biggest international pageants.
Last October 7th saw the final addition to Team Philippines for 2018 with the crowning of Katarina Rodriguez. And finally we have the quartet of Kat for Miss World, Ahtisa Manalo for Miss International, Silvia Celeste Cortesi for Miss Earth and Catriona Elisa Gray for Miss Universe.
Silvia Celeste Cortesi – winning a back-to-back challenge in your home-turf is a huge mountain to climb, I have no doubts that Celeste (like her namesake) will shoot for the skies. Celeste should make full arsenal of the fact that the country is hosting the ME pageant.
What she should anticipate for: is to have stamina for the month long competition that would test her focus. The pageant is not only glamour but real hot-under-the-sun pre-pageant activities…so she must be prepared heavily for that.
Strong Competition from: ladies from South Africa, Guam, India and Puerto Rico.
Should focus on: public speaking. Italian being her first language and English as her second language might hinder her from expressing her thoughts in a fluid manner.
Ahtisa Manalo – the baby of the group! I am worried a bit on her age being so young and fresh but I am reminded of the fact that the average Miss International winners age is around 21 years old. So what a relief!
What she should anticipate for: daily MI activities as she and the rest of her fellow candidates will be up for numerous pre-pageant activities in Japan. She gotta have stamina!
Strong Competition from: Colombia, Mexico, Panama and Poland…
Should focus on: looking fresh and young but embedded within a professionalism and confidence that we saw on Kylie Verzosa and Bea Rose Santiago.
Katarina Rodriguez – her’s was a strategic and unsurprising win as Miss World Philippines. And hopes are now pinned to her to do much better than her predecessor in MW. Kat has a steep fight ahead but I have high hopes that she could score the second blue crown for the country.
What she should anticipate for: heavy social media voting and make use of her delegation of followers who will help her in crucial voting aspects of the pageant.
Strong Competition from: the ladies representing France, Mexico and Puerto Rico.
Should focus on: the Topmodel competition, as most MW winners fared very well in this aspect of the pageant.
Catriona Gray – save the best for last, and we have the strongest of the four competing in December 17th (morning in Bangkok). Gotta say that she is perhaps the Philippines’ highest chance of winning in an Alpha pageant this year. I’d dare say our 4th Miss Universe crown is within grasp.
What she should anticipate for: close-door interviews, it accounts for 60% of the semis. She has to come across as relatable to the judging panel despite all her personal achievements.
Strong Competition from: reps coming from South Africa, USA, Colombia, & Great Britain.
Should focus on: presenting what she could do for the MUOrg as winner.
I am with high hopes that we could bring home at least 1 major crown this year. Should we do so, the country would be the first country to bring home at least 1 Alpha pageant title for 6 consecutive years… and who wouldn’t want that?
Everything sparkled during the ABS-CBN Ball last Saturday, September 29th. But those that truly shone were the beauty queens in attendance!
Sashes&Scripts ranked the top 5 best dressed beauty queens that night… All 5 girls showed major leg action with slits that showed off their lovely gams in shiny sparkling outfits that stole the red carpet.
5. Pia Wurtzbach – Pia took a major fashion risk with her outfit that night. There was a split whether you like it or not. I love the golden goddess look that was part Versace, part Bond Girl (Golden Finger)… It wasn’t an easy look to pull off. I could only imagine that it would have looked great in person and that photos don’t do justice to the whole ensemble. I would have only changed the hair to a Taras Bulba to make it more sleek.
4. Ariella Arida – she showed major skin that night while maintaining a very polished and dignified overall look. Plunging neckline with a revealing slit and sides, a look that she pulled off effortlessly. She looked every inch a goddess in her peach Hannah Kong gown with an impeccable Grecian updo. The only thing I’d change would be the earring and used a statement shoulder sweeper earring to add more pizzazz to the over all outfit.
3. Kylie Verzosa – she looked gorgeous in white and I have to say that the white and the bronzed effect on her skin was a perfect combination. Kylie was throwing major curves with her Francis Libiran gown. The gown itself reminded me of Denise Quinones in 2001. Kylie pulled off her ensemble magnificently!
2. Catriona Gray – loved everything about this outfit. From the hair down to the color of her strappy sandals. But I would really give it to Memay Francisco’s makeup that made Catriona’s face luminous that night. Gold is still Catriona’s best color IMHO and the sparkling Mak Tumang gown amplified the sensual aspect of the outfit.
1. Nicole Cordoves – the golden girl in my list. Love how everything in her outfit was on point. She had on a very understated face and a gold gown cut simply but brought major bling! If you look at her earrings and ring (courtesy of Riqueza Jewellery), it was very Hollywood glam. Then what brought her outfit all together was her nails by Mi & Me Luxury Nails. She was channeling Miss Grand International colors with the emerald and gold colors! Even her eye shadow had gold/ emerald in it (makeup by Anton Patdu). Now that’s what you call well planned.
Comments or thoughts on the list? Let us know on the comments down below!
We’ve asked this question before and we are asking it all over again: Who is Afraid of Catriona Gray? The answer seems to be still the same: Everybody!
Why is this lady such a remarkable pageant girl and what makes her a formidable force in pageantry? Truth be told, that is simply because like Miss Universe 2015, Pia Wurtzbach, she is out to prove herself in pageantry. Catriona’s latest appearance at the New York Fashion Week for the Sherri Hill fashion show was a major testament to her being a force to be reckoned with.
What was remarkable with this feat is that she became the Miss Universe hopeful to be invited to walk the show even before she competed in the international pageant. Iris Mittenaere, Dayana Mendoza, Ximena Navarette and Olivia Culpo only walked for Sherri Hill after they won MU. Of course we cannot discount the MU connection as Sherri Hill has been a major clothing sponsor of the pageant.
Does this bear any weight? No, not really, but it does give us a clue on the reach and clout she can give to the MU pageant should she become Miss Universe 2018.
Just imagine what she can offer to Paula Shugart, Shawn McClain, Esther Swan and the rest of the Miss Universe organization should she win. The pageant, tagged as the Superbowl of Beauty, would not need much effort on publicity as it will come free with any small move of the 5’10 Australian-Filipina stunner. They wouldn’t worry about her on media tours as she is a natural spokesperson for any organization, whether it be for promoting a foundation like Young Focus or for HIV/AIDS awareness for Love Yourself. She has charisma and draw that she could promote any brand much like Pia Wurtzbach did and still does. She could even possibly be the first Miss Universe winner to walk the Victoria’s Secret fashion show with her beauty and statuesque height.
There is so much that Catriona can offer the Miss Universe organization should she win. That Sherri Hill appearance is only a taste on what she can offer to a pageant organization, even more so with IMG|WME being an entertainment company. Can we mention the lady can sing? Another thing that a talent management company like IMG could put in on their prospective reasons to book her as a talent.
Those are reasons why every pageant girl aspiring to compete against her should be very scared. Catriona is not only there to compete, but she is there to bring something to the Miss Universe organization that other girls could only possibly hope to deliver.
October will be the start of the international pageant season and would last until around January of next year. We now have the pageant destinations of the Binibining Pilipinas winners in their respective pageants.
Bb. Pilipinas Globe, Michelle Gumabao – Tirana, Albania
* So it seems that the Vietnam hosting of the pageant didn’t push through and it will be held once again in Albania. Michele is going to be the first of her batch to compete with the finals scheduled on October 21st.
Bb. Pilipinas Grand International, Eva Patalinjug – Myanmar
* Yangon, Myanmar is where Eva will be battling it out on the month of October. The pageant is slated to get over 80 delegates from all over the world this year and will culminate on the evening of October 25th.
Bb. Pilipinas Supranational, Jehza Huelar – Krynica-Zdrój, Poland
* Krynica-Zdrój hard as it seem to pronounce but that is where Jehza will be competing for the blue Supranational crown. It will be the 10th anniversary of the pageant which will be celebrated through it’s finals on December 7 (a day ahead of its European pageant rival Miss World).
Bb. Pilipinas Intercontinental, Karen Gallman – Philippines
* The 47th Miss Intercontinental pageant will be held in the Philippines from January 9-26, 2019 with the finals at the MOA Arena on the 26th. She will be the last in her batch to compete for an international title.
Bb. Pilipinas International, Ahtisa Manalo – Tokyo, Japan
* Mark your calendars on November 9th as our very own Ahtisa will be competing for the MI Mikimoto crown at the Tokyo Dome. The 5’9″ Ahtisa would probably enjoy most the Tokyo-based pageant as it will be filled with packed fun-filled schedule to experience the wonders of the Land of the Rising Sun.
Miss Universe Philippines, Catriona Gray – Bangkok, Thailand
* Wouldn’t it be great if the Christmas present we get from Catriona would be the Miss Universe crown? Slated to compete at early morning of December 17th (to match the December 16 evening broadcast over at the US), the 5’10 Aussie-Filipina will aim for the 4th Miss Universe title of the country.
Michelle McLean and Catriona Gray, their journey to the Miss Universe crown is 26 years apart but will they have the same fate?
The pageant parallels of former Miss Universe 1992 Michelle McLean and reigning Miss Universe Philippines Catriona Elisa Gray are just so d@mn similar, that we are speculating whether the 2018 Miss Universe pageant is a story waiting to repeat itself.
Both ladies are tall: Michelle being one of the tallest MU winners at 6’0″ while Catriona is one of the tallest Philippine rep to Miss Universe at 5’10”. The ladies have also worked as a model and have traveled quite a bit before they joined pageants. There’s more, these ladies are also advocates for children and education. Michelle founded the Michelle McLean Children’s Trust in 1992 and built the Michelle McLean Primary School in Windhoek, Namibia in the year 2000. Catriona has been able to help renovate a three story building with Young Focus and completed it in 2017. The building was converted into a learning center for youths in the impoverished area of Tondo.
The two ladies were also favored to win the Miss World title during their respective year but only had to settled for a top 5 finish. In her year, Michelle was favored to win the pageant with a strong performance but lost to Venezuela’s Ninibeth Leal. Catriona in 2016 showed a strong performance having won the Multimedia challenge, placing 2nd in the Talent round and being among the top 5 of the Beauty with a Purpose project. Like Michelle, she lost to a Latina, this time with Puerto Rico’s Stephanie del Valle.
And now Catriona follows the same story of Michelle competing in the same country that Michelle won the Miss Universe crown back in 1992. Thailand will be the host country this year and if Catriona wins, she will also be crowned by an outgoing winner that is shorter in height (Michele was 4″ taller than Lupita Jones and Catriona is at least 3 inch taller than reigning Miss Universe Demi Leigh Nel-Peters). Now this is too much of a coincidence not to pay attention to. Could this signal that Catriona is also bound to win the Miss Universe Mikimoto crown this 2018? Your thoughts?
While an uproar among pageant fans has brewed over the winning and participation of Miss Universe Spain Angela Ponce in Miss Universe, Filipina-Aussie Catriona Gray has more of an open-mind in the issue.
Here is the news report by ABSCBN:
Catriona Gray, who will be representing the Philippines in the Miss Universe pageant later this year, has no problem competing with a transgender woman in the prestigious beauty contest. Continue reading “Catriona on Trans-Females in Miss Universe”
We are months and months away from the Miss Universe pageant but I’ve already been on the lookout for these three lovely ladies since their crowning.
While the Miss Universe pageant has been a ping-pong volley of one rumored venue to another, there have only been three (so far) confirmed candidates that I feel have the real chance of winning the Mikimoto crown.
Continue reading “Sashes&Scripts Early Favorites for Miss Universe 2018”
I have typically shied away from this topic because of risks in ruffling some feathers. But I guess it can’t be helped to see pageant fans pitting Catriona Gray against Tamaryn Green.
First and foremost let’s acknowledge that the two ladies are strong contenders for the Mikimoto crown of the Miss Universe pageant. That has never been a question. Each girl brings something strong and fierce into the table. With the two having a little more common than we understand where the comparison is coming from. Here’s a side by side ‘tell of the tape’ of the two ladies…
Height – Catriona is 5’10, Tamaryn is 5’11”
Age – both girls would be 24 years old by the pageant proper
Hair & Eye color – both ladies have brown hair and brown eyes
Profession – Catriona has been living independently earning from her modeling stints, while Tamaryn is on her final year as a medical student
We all know that Catriona Gray is a major threat for the title. So it wouldn’t be surprised that those that are intimidated by her would have her pitted against other girls who can give her a challenge for the crown. That is quite obvious specially with a number of ‘Catriona versus….’ comparisons. If pageant fans don’t see Catriona as a threat, then they wouldn’t even bother paying her attention. Fortunately she is a threat and that is why she is in the collective ‘top of mind’ of pageant watchers here and abroad.
Then came the crowning of Tamaryn who we all believe to be a tough competition come Miss Universe season. Just like Catriona, this lady is well spoken and drop dead gorgeous. Tamaryn, a medical student, has a tough back to back challenge to which we believe to the reason why the judges chose her for Miss Universe. She seems to be the perfect secondary salvo to her predecessor Demi Leigh Nel-Peters. It is clear why she is being pitted against the equally strong Catriona.
IMHO, it would be an insult if it is not a strong contender that is being compared to each other. Them being put head to head is more of a compliment to the two ladies in the competition. And while it would be difficult to say who has the upper hand, we can all agree that we can see why they seem to be heavy favorites now.
At least at this moment, I think that these ladies would end up in a draw…that is, for now.
She hasn’t stopped since she was crowned Miss Universe Philippines. Catriona Gray is shaping up to be the busiest winner with public appearances and guesting left and right.
But that doesn’t mean that her preparations for Miss Universe isn’t already underway. In fact, it already started.
Continue reading “Catriona Gray & How Her Miss Universe Preparations Start This June”
We know that the Miss International pageant is still quite far, but we just can’t help but to be excited at the prospect of what would our reps’ national costume be. So we came up with several ideas on possible options.
Today’s post is all about possible national costume ideas for Binibining Pilipinas International Ahtisa Manalo…
1. La Jota Moncadena Costume – the dancers in lavish Maria Clara costume would flick their feet to create a swooshing movement of the saya’s cola. The drama for this costume would be lavish enaguas (petticoats) underneath the costume. In the olden Hispanic times, the more elaborate the embroidery and lace work of the enagua, the more wealthy and affluent the family the lady comes from.
2. Ifugao-themed costume – it is rare to see traditional costumes from the Mountain Provinces being showcased in pageants. With the wealth of ideas and cultures from the collective Ifugao peoples (Bontok, Kankanaey, Ibaloy, Isnag and Kalinga tribes) or even the lowland tribes of the Gaddang and Yogad, surely there is a number of costumes that we can mine from its heritage and traditions.
Which of these wish-list for a national costume would you like for Ahtisa? Comment below!