The Miss Universe Thailand 2020 finals will take place on October 10 at True Icon Hall, Icon Siam with the crowning of reigning queen Paweensuda Drouin’s successor. The winner of the competition will receive one million baht in cash prize, plus a car and a condominium.
With a highly competitive batch, we honestly feel that it will be anybody’s ballgame. The past few days we have seen the sudden rise of (but well deservingly so) of the following ladies: Benjarat, Thidaporn, Sirilux and Thaweeporn. To see them make past the first cut would not be a surprise.
In this list, we named 12 ladies who we believe would be in the running for the title. The next set of four candidates are those we believe to be among those to watch out for as they are among the frontrunners and darkhorses in the competition. Note, that these ladies are listed in random order. Among the ladies in the competition this year, the following are the ones that we believe to have a good shot at the title:
* Alexandra Haenggi (Age: 21 Years, Height: 172 cm) – she is undoubtedly one of our ladies in the underdog list but make no mistake, she’s a contender. The former Miss Chiang Mai actually reminds us of former Binibining Pilipinas winner Eva Patalinjug in terms of facial beauty.
* Praewwanit/ Praewwanich Ruangthong (Age: 27 Years, Height: 172 cm) – personally, we feel that she is the true face of the competition. Her dusky skin and her very racially-ambiguous face is one that should grace an international competition.
* Bewnuttha Thongkaew (Age: 27 Years, Height: 168 cm) – another dusky skinned beauty that I feel the Thai fans often overlook. In a competition that seems to prefer fair skinned girls, Nuttha offers a fresh and different take on beauty.
* Wanvisa Maya Goldman (Age: 26 Years, Height: 170 cm) – this lady is one of those that we feel is severely underrated. IMHO, she is a far superior speaker than most of the front-runners in the competition. What she brings in the competition is a maturity not commonly found among pageant girls nowadays. That is her strength that she brings into the title.
TOP PICKS FOR MUT2020
If we are to narrow our selection to just five ladies for the title, then we would absolutely want these ladies in the top.
* Amanda Obdam (Age: 27 Years, Height: 170 cm) – if one is to look for the perfect balance of communication skills, stage presence, facial beauty and physical assets, Amanda would be it. No doubt she will be a great Thai rep to MU if she wins.
* Praveenar Singh (Age: 24 Years, Height: 178 cm)– she’s the fan-favorite and everybody seems to love her. And there is no reason not to. She is absolutely beautiful and possesses a very universal face. She speaks with confidence and commands a huge following. Put them together and you have a candidate whose MU campaign will be quite strong. She would be unstoppable in Miss Universe if she channels the same level of energy in the nationals to the global stage.
* Punika Kulsoontornrut (Age: 27 Years, Height: 175 cm) – aging like fine wine, Polly is definitely a crown contender, no doubt about it. There is a certain finesse in her presentation that could be appreciated in Miss Universe. We are yet to see if luck be on her side this time like in her past stint at Miss Earth and Miss International where she made 2nd runner up in both international Alpha pageants. If it happens that age is a huge factor in selecting the winner, she would be the biggest threat to claim the crown.
* Emmy Kim Sawyer (Age: 19 Years, Height: 173 cm) – being young doesn’t seem to be a roadblock to this young lady. She is arguably one of the two top speakers in her batch. When asked if she was sent to MU, would she bring home the title and her unequivocal response was “Definitely. Full stop“. That kind of confidence is quite rare among her age. It will be a great story if she should win as she would represent a younger voice into the MU conversation.
Personally, I am placing my confidence on Veena, Amanda, Punika and Emmy as they would be great for the Miss Universe pageant. I have always been a sucker for good communicators and unconventional beauties, so these two being personal faves are no surprise. Punika is a seasoned pro and that is undeniable in her performance specially in the last stages of the competition. So to see her win wouldn’t be a long shot too. Veena being a fan favorite is hard to ignore as well. Your blogger truly believes that the battle will be fought hard between these four ladies.
I do not discount the possibility, however, that anyone in our list could be the next Thai rep to Miss Universe… Indeed, the Miss Universe Thailand Org is spoilt for choice.