It’s currently Metro Manila Film Festival at the theaters and we see two beauty queens jump into the big screens: Miss International Kylie Verzosa and Binibining Pilipinas International Mariel de Leon…
The two beauty queens-turned-actresses can be seen at the Coco Martin starrer Ang Panday. Kylie is now signed under Viva Entertainment, so we should be expecting to see more of her on TV and the big screen. She recently had a hand on reporting as TV Patrol’s Star Patroller. Not to mention as a host of MMFF’s Gabi ng Parangal. Expect big things to come for Mariel as well as she can leverage her singing talent into a career. Both Miss International alums, both facially gorgeous, both making a plash into the showbiz industry. Can’t wait to see how their careers would lift off!
Here is a short video of the outtakes on the shoot…
The results of the Miss International and Miss World pageants is a humbling one for Filipino pageant fans. Binibining Pilipinas International Mariel de Leon and Miss World Philippines Laura Lehmann went in with high hopes but their efforts yielded unfavorable results.
Mariel who has the face of an angel was perfectly fit for the Miss International pageant, who is known for favouring doll-faced beauties. Perhaps she could have placed better in a more slimmed-down body for the competition. Or had she worn her Binibining Pilipinas national costume instead. But it is difficult to ignore the Mikimoto curse that has been on going since 2012. Laura made it to top 40, which was the lowest placement the Philippines had since 2011. While Laura may have not figured well in majority of the fasttracks, her 5-way tie for the BWAP win was commendable. She just wasn’t what Julia Morley wanted for her pageant. Perhaps it wasn’t their time or they competed with more prepared girls or perhaps others had better luck… Others may argue that it is because of some fans being rude and ill-mannered on social media brought bad vibes on Mariel and Laura.
The two Aces & Queens girls may not have made a huge dent in their respective competition, nevertheless we are proud of how they fought to represent the country. They gave their best and that is all we can ask of them.
This has to be the most facially strong Miss International batch in recent history. So it is quite difficult to say who would be the next winner to succeed reigning Miss International Kylie Verzosa. We see at least 10 strong ladies that could eventually emerge victorious come November 14th.
The Alternates – these ladies could still make first cut in the competition.
20. Moldova, Daniela Bejan
19. Japan, Tsutsui Natsuki
18. Brazil, Bruna Zanardo
17. United Kingdom, Ashley Powell
16. Australia, Amber Dew
The Semi-finalists – this is a motley crew of ladies that I believe to still be a threat for the crown. They comprise some of the most gorgeous girls in the pageant and would perhaps be possible darkhorses for the title.
15. Panama, Darelys Santos
14. Vietnam, Thuy Dung
13. Russia, Elena Kviatkevich
12. Nepal, Niti Shah
11. Canada, Marta Magdalena Stepien
10. Colombia, Vanessa Pulgarin
9. Tunisia, Khaoula Gueye
8. Lithuania, Patricija Belousova
7. Thailand, Ratiyaporn Chookaew
The Possible Winners – these ladies seem to be the ones who are to battle for the crown. For the first time I have selected a woman of color for the Miss International title. The pageant has had its fair share of criticism over seldom selecting women of color as its titleholder. Chanelle is the perfect balance of wit, beauty and personality that could bring the title to the Caribbean.
6. Philippines, Mariel de Leon
5. Mexico, Citlaly Higuera
4. Venezuela, Diana Croce
3. Indonesia, Kevin Liliana
2. South Africa, Tayla Robinson
1. Curacao, Chanelle de Lau
The Miss International pageant is almost nearing a close and here is the second Sashes&Scripts Leaderboard… A lot of new names in this list as we expanded it from 12 to 16. Try to counter check it with the first leaderboard on this link.
16. Panama, Darelys Santos * new
15. Canada, Marta Magdalena Stepien * new
14. Moldova, Daniela Bejan * new
13. Colombia, Vanessa Pulgarin
12. Russia, Elena Kviatkevich * new
11. Nepal, Niti Shah ⇓
10. Venezuela, Diana Croce ⇓
9. United Kingdom, Ashley Powell ⇓
8. South Africa, Tayla Robinson ⇓
7. Philippines, Mariel de Leon ⇓
6. Lithuania, Patricija Belousova ⇓
5. Tunisia, Khaoula Gueye *new
4. Indonesia, Kevin Liliana ⇓
3. Curacao, Chanelle de Lau ⇑
2. Mexico, Citlaly Higuera ⇑
1. Thailand, Ratiyaporn Chookaew *new
After quite an absence from several activities of Miss International, Miss Thailand Ratiyaporn is back to good health. She is now into the full swing of the activities after getting early signs of chickenpox. Mexico’s Citlaly Higuera is also highly visible these days. Most noticeable is how Chanelle and Khaoula have climbed up in the list, watch out for these two as they might be the women of color who could finally win Miss International. Check back again soon for our final list of our Miss International 2017 favorites.
The 2017 Miss International pageant is already underway and we are seeing reigning Miss International Kylie Verzosa being in the thick of the pageant activities. Binibining Pilipinas International, Mariel de Leon is also in the spotlight for her tough job of a back-to-back win. The Filipino-Japanese Journal has recently released several videos on their Instagram account on their interview with the two beauty queens. Check out the videos from @filipinojapanesejournal below:
Needless to say that Mariel is out for a tough challenge ahead but with a mindset of wanting to do her best, she could be able to win over the judges in the competition. And with Kylie to show her the ropes and giving her advice, Mariel is surely going to be in great company…
I’d have to say the Miss International pageant has attracted the most beautiful/ pretty/ gorgeous faces in any of the Alpha pageants this year.
The Tokyo-based Miss International pageant seems to prefer the classically beautiful faces for its winners. This year is no exception as at least 10 absolute perfect faces are currently competing in the pageant. While my list may be subjective, I have nonetheless listed those that perfectly fits the mold of what the pageant may be looking for…
* Colombia, Vanessa Pulgarin – looks like the Virreina to Senorita Colombia is doing well on her own in Tokyo. Vanessa has ‘beauty queen’ written all over her face with her high cheekbones, chiseled jawline and aquiline nose.
* Nepal, Niti Shah – she is the strongest Miss Nepal in any competition this year. She has an innocent, pure and yet lovable quality in her. Plus her face is one that you cannot easily dismiss. I hope to see her do well in the competition.
* Indonesia, Kevin Liliana – for the second straight year, Puteri Indonesia is sending their prettiest girl to MI. Boneka that is how I would describe her as she has the face that the Japanese organizers would love.
* Ukraine, Kseniya Chifa – are we even surprised to see Ukraine in this list? Ukraine would always be represented by fiercely gorgeous girls in any competition and Kseniya has a face any pageant girl would die for.
* Canada, Marta Magdalena Stepien – I absolutely didn’t have her in my early list of girls that I watched out for. But the girl is registering strong face and gorgeous mug shots every time her face is plastered on IG and FB posts. It also helps that Marta looks like a brunette Taylor Swift!
* South Africa, Tayla Robinson – perhaps the strongest blonde in the batch. I would love to see her make top 5 this year. And knowing how the Japan-based pageant have a penchant for blonde beauties, I feel Tayla will fare well in the pageant.
* Philippines, Mariel de Leon – she has arguably the friendliest and most angelic face of the bunch. Doll face if I should describe her. From the time she joined BBP earlier this year, I knew she would be perfect for MI and she is delivering well in Tokyo.
* Mexico, Citlaly Higuera – another stunner from Mexico. Her country never sends facially weak girls and this year is no exception. In fact Citlaly in my book is one of the best faces in MI this year. Her face is visual orgasm come to life.
* Lithuania, Patricija Belousova – when she puts on red lipstick, this pretty-faced dancesport athlete transforms into a pageant diva. She has the facial features that previous MI winners like Andrea Neu and Anne Lena Hansen possess.
* Venezuela, Diana Croce – she is arguably the most photogenic in this year’s batch. She looks just as goon in professional shoots as in her candids. This Elite Model Look winner has been modeling since age 14 and has walked the runways of New York Fashion Week.
Some of the girls that also almost made it into the list are the ladies from Curacao, Tunisia, Vietnam and Laos. But if there was ever a 1-2-3-4 punch combo in this year’s competition, those would have to be Venezuela, Lithuania, Mexico and the Philippines… with Nepal and Canada just close behind. It would be interesting to see if any of these girls would land the top 5 in this year’s competition!