This is part two of the four-part Binibining Pilipinas 2018 review . And today we will be talking about the 8 winners and their respective placements. In terms of predictions, I got 2 out of the 6 crowns correctly with Eva and Catriona..and 21 out of the 25 semi-finalists. Not bad considering this batch was a very competitive one!
I would say that I am a bit skeptic at first with some of the placements of this batch. After a very solid 2017 batch of strong communicators, two of the girls that had strong q&a were relegated only to runners up. But looking at how the girls with crowns are placed with their respective international competitions, I see that this was a strategic move.
Bb. Pilipinas Globe, Michelle Gumabao – I guess my assessment on my crown-contender series was correct, she did end up with the Miss Globe title! She follows the same pattern as Nelda Ibe (pilot beauty queen vis-a-vis sportswoman turned beauty queen). I think she is a strong contender for the Miss Globe title.
Bb. Pilipinas Intercontinental, Karen Gallman – another case where my crown contender assessment was correct! Karen may have not been able to communicate fluidly her point during the finals but she was able to get her message across. I have a feeling that she would continue our placement streak at Miss Intercontinental.
Bb. Pilipinas Supranational, Jehza Huelar – third times a charm! Finally Jehza has been crowned! She may have had a rocky start but she did finish with a bang! Her good bone structure on her small frame would be very appreciated in the Polish pageant.
Bb. Pilipinas Grand International, Eva Patalinjug – she was my MGI bet on the final Sashes&Scripts leaderboard and she ended up landing that title! The Thai-based pageant will surely love this mestiza looking Cebuana specially with Eva being a multi-hyphenate (beauty queen- registered nurse- law student).
Bb. Pilipinas International, Ahtisa Manalo – the youngest among the winners this year and she has to cast a bigger shadow than her predecessor. And it would be easy for this doll-like beauty. All she needs to do is to behave well and find a formula that would gel well with what the Japanese pageant is looking for.
Miss Universe Philippines, Catriona Gray – she is the girl that was MUP in both my crown-contender assessment and in my final leaderboard. Was there ever a doubt that she would win this title? Nada, at least for me. She was the girl to beat from day 1 and she never wavered in her lead.
I still would have wanted those who did well at the Q&A grab some crowns had there been more franchises but in totality I think this is a solid batch of queens. I would even say that the Philippines has a handful of international crown-worthy queens in this group, can’t wait to see them in action for their respective competitions abroad…
1 nerve-wracking finals night…
With a very competitive batch of ladies I can name at least 20 ladies that should make semis and it still wouldn’t be enough to fairly squeeze in the strong girls in the competition. So this year, my final leaderboard follows a different format. I took away the ranking of the semifinalists as it would not matter who makes #15 vis-a-vis #9.
Alternate Semifinalists – one way or another, these ladies have left an impression on this blogger. Each girl could easily sneak into the top 16 semis this year. But I am sure that these ladies will make top 25 in the finals.
* Loren Mar Artajos
* Sarah Joson
* Shane Tormes
* Aubrey Asuncion
* Wynonah Buot
* Kristie Cequeña
* Janette Sturm
* Patrizia Garcia
* Anjame Magbitang
Semifinalists – no surprises here as these ladies have continually made a mark in the course of the competition. However, these ladies at some point lost consistency along the competition. Some had a strong start, other had their moment on the latter parts of the competition. But they are still a threat for those in the upper half of the list
* Agatha Romero
* Ahtisa Manalo
* Samantha Bernardo
* Ana Patricia Asturias
* Karen Gallman
* Sandra Lemonon
Continue reading “Sashes&Scripts’ Final Leaderboard for Bb.Pilipinas2018”
Name: Karen Gallman
Height & Age: 5’6″, 25 years old
Strengths: she has one of the most gorgeous faces in this batch of Bb. Pilipinas hopefuls. Plus it is framed by a long neck. It also helps that she has good command of the English language although she has to learn to be more engaging in interviews.
Weaknesses: She comes off as cold at times and that would be a problem that needs to be addressed as a beauty queen. Because she would need to work with people so she has to appear to be more warm and friendly to a huge number of people.
Eligible for: all six Binibining Pilipinas titles
Best Suited for: She might fit the mold of the type beauty that the Miss Intercontinental pageant is looking for. Or perhaps Miss Grand International as she could communicate well.
Most Likely Will Be: Binibining Pilipinas Intercontinental.
This would be the last leaderboard prior to the final. Based on the Jag Jeans & National Costume fashion show, the ladies in this list comprise of the girls that had made a good impression on this blogger. Seeing thme perform live during the fashion show has re-shuffled my list in a big way.
And instead of a two-part series, this will only be a one-shot post. Plus it will follow a different format to give you some suspense as we lead into next week’s coronation night. The list below isn’t fully ranked and are arranged within groupings in an Alphabetical order to keep you guessing…
* Sigrid Grace Flores
* Muriel Orais
Potential Runners up
* Samantha Bernardo
* Edjelyn Joy Gamboa
* Patrizia Garcia
* Ahtisa Manalo
* Michelle Gumabao
* Vickie Marie Rushton
* Ena Louise Velasco
* Karen Gallman
* Jehza Huelar
* Sandra Lemonon
* Eva Patalinjug
Possible Miss Universe Philippines
* Maria Andrea Abesamis
* Catriona Gray
Finally! The Binibining Pilipinas gold swimsuit glamshots has been released and we can finally talk about it out in the open. This year’s glamshot is a very lavish one with Mediterranean influences. Moroccan tiles served as a backdrop to the shoot and jazzed up with palms leaves to give a very Casablanca feel to it. The ladies were all decked in DR Swim gold swimsuits with colorful tassel earrings and large bangles by designer Christopher Munar.
Of course we couldn’t help but list down the ladies that did exceptionally well in their shots and I have listed my personal favorites ranked in reverse order. But before we get into the list, bear in mind that this list is subjective in nature but having worked in the fashion industry for 14 years does give me a bit of an edge on how to pick photos that are good for ads and other printed paraphernalia. Face, projection, body positioning and overall composition were taken into consideration for this list.
Now the 12 ladies that gave good photos…
12. Binibini 1, Vickie Rushton – I had her pegged to nail this with her incredible face but did just ok. Not exceptionally good but neither it is bad. My problem with her photo is how I couldn’t get past her awkward head positioning.I see too much of her nose and not much of her eyes, which should be the focal point of any photo featuring the face.
11. Binibini 26, Wynonah Buot – good face, not overly done but a really terrible body pose. It made her look very top heavy, like an inverted triangle. A little hip arch could have balanced the photo overall.
10. Binibini 39, Trixia Marie Maraña – a surprise on my list. She gave good projection, created nice curves with her body (and do I need to mention how the curl of her hair made her boobs look visually bigger?).
9. Binibini 28, Angelica Corbe – another surprise in the list. She gave good face that it almost reminded me of a mix between Isabella Manjon and Anjanette Abayari. She gave me the ‘S’ curve in her pose (which I have a weakness for) and she surely has loads of sex appeal.
8. Binibini 3, Muriel Orais – she’s the girl that you rely ton to never give you a terrible shot. And she delivered so well in this photoshoot that it is no longer a surprise. Had she placed her hand behind her head (ala-Maxine Medina), then she would be hands down my best photo. Her left hand position is ‘visually communicating’ a push away from her face, which should be the focal point of the picture.
7. Binibini 35, Sandra Lemonon -this is a departure of the usual angles that she gives us… and that novelty pushed her high up on the list. Plus sh gives us curves for days! She also dialed down being too sexy that this could almost pass for a magazine cover. This pic could even pass for a Century Tuna Superbods shoot… (lols)
6. Binibini 20, Catriona Gray – good face and gave us just enough to tease us. IMHO, I preferred the original ‘leaked’ photo to this shot. Hence I couldn’t put her higher up in this list. This official photo gave enough body curves but still looked to linear in in its overall composition, which is effective in vertical banners but not very flexible in other formats.
5. Binibini 38, Karen Gallman – one of the best photos in terms of face but not much in terms of her body position. Too much armpit without more of the neck. She could also benefited with an arched back and a higher leg bend.
4. Binibini 27, Nicole KC Cajandig – did not expect KC to be this high up the list but here she is serving real heat! The face looks borderline virginal and sexual and there goes the all-so-reliable ‘S’ curve position. Had she arched her back a little bit more and she could have given us a Miss Venezuela level kind of pose.
3. Binibini 17, Ahtisa Manalo – gorgeous without even trying. She was effortlessly beautiful when you zoom in to a tight facial shot. What I could have advised is for her to hike and hitch up her right hip higher to create a better balanced photo….because this glamshot is perfect waist up.
2. Binibini 19, Michelle Gumabao – the face was perfect but the body position made her wide shoulders too noticeable. This is one of the instances that I would have wanted her to place her hands on her butcheeks instead of her waist as it made her look like she got no butt.
1. Binibini 32, Eva Patalinjug – face – check, neck – check, boobs – double check, arms and legs – check, butt & hips – check… now if you still wonder why she is on top of this list, then that should be enough for you to be convinced. Add to that is the line movement of her ‘S’ curve creating a move visually balance photograph. This is how a glamshot is done.
Other notable photos that almost made the list were that of Samantha Bernardo, Aya Abesamis, Ena Velasco, Agatha Romero, and Jehza Huelar. They were the ones that did make an impression but were outshined by the 12 girls on this list.
Another 2 part write-up on the girls that I believed to have performed well since the second leaderboard posted a week ago. The third leaderboard is based from feedback from colleagues and pageant insiders who were inside the Monet Ballroom of the Novotel Hotel in Cubao.
Not surprisingly, a number of girls opted for the high ponytail this year for the press presentation, I blame that on Ena Velasco in her Taras Bulba hairstyle during the talent segment last week. A notable few slid down in my list with weak walks and stage presence. But a few new surprises made it into my list. Without further a do, here are the second half of the 3rd leaderboard.
16. Agatha Romero – a surprise on my list as I got to remember her among the 40 girls in the competition. The straight hair should be kept for the finals competition as it adds more to her charisma.
15. Wynonah Buot – the bussom-y Cebuana was perfect from the neck up. Her walk was a let down and could use more training on the walking.
14. Angelica Corbe – I was told that she had one of the best walks from KF and she did deliver. Her walk is a tad more controlled and regal compared to other girls in her camp, though she still could benefit from a little more polish on having a more commanding presence.
13. Ahtisa Manalo – fresh faced and full of presence. She upstaged a number of girls from her camp despite being one of the youngest in the group.
12. Jehza Huelar – finally, we see a glimmer of the Jehza that we all expect to see in competition form. Not yet at her most impressive but this is a good start.
11. Sandra Lemonon – strong stage presence and a better strut than a number of her fellow campmates bolstered her in the list. Big curls looked great on her although more polish is needed on her poses.
10. Karen Gallman – definitely one of the standouts. I hope that she keeps on consistently improving as there are times where other girls steal her thunder.
9. Sigrid Grace Flores – this girl brought her A-game in the press presentation. Although she did a bit too much poses (should stick to a max of 4 poses) she nevertheless milked her time onstage. She is channeling some Dianne Necio vibes according to some of my moles inside the venue.
The Jag Jeans videos are all out and we list down the ladies that stood out among the rest of the 40 girls in the competition!
Binibini 1, Vickie Marie Rushton – its the face again that carried the entire video. You could see a little bit of the fierce sexiness coming out but just barely. Photogenic and Telegenic, this Binibini is rising up on everyone’s lists.
Binibini 3, Muriel Orais – this girl knows how to project on camera and actually looks better in motion. She knows how to use her face to really sell the video. And she moves seamlessly from fierce to sweet to seductive and does that within a hearbeat.
Binibini 7, Sigrid Flores – not quite a surprise because she did give good face in the video.
Binibini 10, Kayesha Chua – channeling her inner Kylie Verzosa in the video (perhaps it was the hair and makeup) and it works for her.
Binibini 11, Aya Abesamis – finally! Been waiting for her to deliver a solid performance and did it here. She is in her element in this video, total standout! Her movements were something I’d expect from a seasoned model. Though she needs to tone down those colored contacts.
Binibini 17, Ahtisa Manalo – another girl that zoomed into the top of the list. This makeup suits her, though not a fan of the overly curly hair that almost covered her lovely face.
Binibini 20, Catriona Gray – of course she also had to nail this one. She is not letting up to her competition. I didn’t think she could pull off the fierce face back in 2016 but boy did she deliver now. I only hoped that she could have created more shapes as she looked a little too linear in the vid.
Binibini 26, Wynonah Buot – the Jennifer Hammond doppelganger worked her angles in the video and did a good job.
Binibini 27, Henna Kaizzelle Nicole “KC” Cajandig – I was surprised with her in my list. Loved the fact that she looks good smiling in the video.
Binibini 32, Eva Patalinjug – registered well in videos although I would have wanted more movement knowing she could dance. Again, it was the face that nailed it for me.
Binibini 35, Sandra Lemonon – that is what I’d call movement! She gave enough of it that she stood out but not to the point that it looks too sexy.
Binibini 38, Karen Gallman – so this is how Kendall Jenner would look like endorsing a jeans brand. I totally forgot that it was Karen because she moves like a seasoned model.
But if I were to rank in my top 5, I would place them as below:
5. Catriona Gray
4. Vickie Rushton
3. Muriel Orais
2. Sandra Lemonon
1. Aya Abesamis